2009年11月28日星期六

LOO2O





My thoughts - Part 1:

Ok, I know Leona Lewis doesn't have the most distinctive voice or style, and her albums tend to get boring because the songs are all the same tone, but in small dosage she can be quite listenable. There's a sense of self empowerment and contemporariness to her that I really like!

I put off getting into Lady Gaga when she released her first album, because I think she's not very original and a bit of a try-hard. Her music style and image is just a combination of every other pop star (Madonna, Kylie, Christina, Gwen...) But it's hard not to commend her on the catchiness of her songs and the detailed effort she has put into her visuals. Since this new edition is so well-valued that it includes a new 8-song mini album, I've decided to give up and just enjoy...

Rihanna's new album is so far not as good as I'd hoped from her, considering how great Good Girl Gone Bad was, I'd wanted her to come up with something new and different! There's none as catchy and innovative as Umbrella, nor is there an RnB ballad as likeable as Take a Bow or Hate that I Love You. But I guess there's some freshness in the new goth RnB sound and "post Chris Brown messed-up woman" image, maybe should give it a bit more time?

When I first heard Arlington Way by Cerys Matthews I was thrilled because it sounded very Catatonia (esp. Stone by Stone) which is a pleasant surprise since her past solo efforts had been more country or experimental. It's great to finally hear her sound more city-pop, with sweeping strings and a catchy chorus. What's interesting about Cerys Matthews has always been her sweet, almost angelic voice contrasted with her loud, drunken Welsh woman presence. The new album feels like a mixture of Catatonia's brit pop and her new more dreamy, sophisticated sound. Definitely her best solo album.

沒有留言:

發佈留言

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...